Wednesday, May 13, 2009

1. Joe the Pirate

I woke up from a daydream and thought, "Today, I am going to make my blog useful. Today." So here I am, a year later...

One design-inclined ego, Citylightsytic, at your service.
My other egos will be getting frisky at different addresses.

In Citylightsytic I'll be employing every single neuron and synapse to mull over artwork, events, and creatives.
This will serve a combination of purposes: to be a library of references, a showcase of personal work, and a vehicle for inspiring (read: forcing) my own exploratory design thinking. The latter is especially important since for too long I've remained acquainted only with the elements and principles of art/design, and I definitely intend on graduating into history and theory. Until then, I will be holding my glass of wine with all the delicacy of a child, "This is a beautiful color of wine. Look how the curvature in this glass reflects shit in a really cool way. Shiinnyy."

Naturally I hope you enjoy this and I always look forward to any discussion.



A little background:

The moment I recognized my dad drawing a pirate from the name "Joe" on a napkin at our regular Saturday McDonald's visit (yes, because I am loved. Also at 5 years old I think I screamed "McDonald's" all day long), I fell in love with the fact that there was a secret in the picture, a "layered" meaning. Since then I've always derived pleasure in art, trying to understand the mysterious nature behind paintings and hiding my own stories in overdecorated doodles. There is a gross amount of vanity and confidence in this, but I could never stop indulging myself. I experience inexplicable joy in connecting pencil to paper. Drawing is also the way I've recorded important occurrences or feelings in my life. From drawing the picture of a happy stick figure family being devoured by sunlight, to scratching in the accusing, abstracted faces in my sketchbook, to painting surreal destinations on canvas, I am freed in ways writing and conversation never do. In writing, I am always imprisoned by the end of a piece and in conversation, confined by a paralyzing fear of being exposed as ridiculous and childish (truth). For example, that roaring in a workplace is a "bad idea" still baffles me. I'm pretty sure the same person who made this rule also invented The Pear of Anguish. Or had it rammed up his ass multiple times on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Probably in his nostrils, too. Then I might understand why he just couldn't forgive the world. Anyway, so I dig Art, which eventually lead me into Design. And the story continues from here. in probably disorganized thought bits.

Have a good night, I'm off to hunt my dreams for The Great Crispy Bacon Whale on tsunami waves of fantasy expensive foam mattress.

No comments:

Post a Comment